EMI Canada in a time of COVID-19
In response to this evolving situation, we are constantly evaluating how to make responsible, faithful, and wise decisions that will protect our people, adapt our programs safely, and continue to be grounded in faith.
We’ve taken steps to protect our project teams:
- Project trips have been postponed, including ones to Uganda and Kenya, which were previously scheduled for mid- March and early summer, respectively.
- While we cannot travel to support ministry partners, we will continue working to complete existing projects, serving past ministry partners from our office in Canada, and developing future projects. Now more than ever, we see the impact of professional design for key community facilities, like hospitals and medical clinics, for our partner ministries and the vulnerable populations they serve.
We’ve taken steps to protect our staff and interns, in Canada and abroad:
- The EMI Canada office is working largely from home, connecting virtually as necessary for the foreseeable future.
- We continue to support our Canadian staff who are remaining overseas. One currently off-boarding staff member has safely returned to Canada with her family.
- Canadian interns in the field have either returned home, or are sheltering in place where they are, some extending their internships where possible. We will not mobilize any new Canadian interns for Term 2, which runs from May through August.
We’re adapting our other activities over the coming months:
- As physical gatherings are restricted, we are exploring virtual and other creative ways to fundraise and maintain connection with our Canada-wide EMI community.
- We will continue collaborating with other EMI offices in new ways to fulfill EMI’s mandate to bring hope throughprofessional design where it is most needed but inaccessible.
- As revenue streams become challenged, we are exploring ways to decrease costs and pursue government support for charities.
What you can expect from EMI Canada
You, our EMI community across Canada, are foremost on our minds as we seek cost-effective and innovative ways to serve you as well as our overseas partner ministries. In concert with our Board, we will steward our financial resources to the best of our ability, and actively communicate with you as we journey through the coming months. We will continue to be responsive to your inquiries by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or by phone (403-202-3642).
How you can continue to partner with EMI Canada
God is our refuge, our strength, and our provider; and it is His work that you join with us to carry out, so please pray for wisdom and guidance for EMI leadership, and for protection for our personnel around the globe. Pray also for our ministry partners, many of whom are serving vulnerable populations especially susceptible to the effects of this crisis.
In this time of personal and economic uncertainty and upheaval, we are grateful that many of you continue to look for ways to help. Your partnership with EMI is pivotal in this season of lost program-related income and limited fundraising avenues. Additionally, our faith-supported staff continue to rely on financial partners to remain on staff at EMI. So, we thank you for coming alongside us in faith through prayer and, as you are able, financially, whether now or in the future.
For giving options, please visit emiworld.org/ca/give. Please also keep an eye out for opportunities to donate to or participate in the various EMI Canada fundraising initiatives as they are rolled out in the coming months.
Thank you for taking the time to read this update. We anticipate God’s provision in this season, and we intend to emerge even more equipped, unified, and passionate about the work He’s called us to do.