Mexico Earthquakes and Caribbean Hurricanes
See how EMI is responding to the recent earthquakes in Mexico and hurricanes in the Caribbean.
Vision: Provide immediate physical aid and spiritual hope to the vulnerable poor and survivors of disasters worldwide.
Mission: Respond to and assess unmet needs within days of any disaster worldwide, anticipate disaster effects and provide hazard mitigation options with special-technical trained and equipped EMI assessment and design teams.
EMI's DR & DRR Capabilities
- Reestablish, design and install various water and wastewater systems
- Assess and implement sanitation and hygiene initiatives
- Design and establish clean water distribution centers
- Design flood water mitigation solutions
- Technical consulting on WASH programming and project implementation
- Survey hazards and provide risk mitigation recommendations for natural hazards
- Assess slope stability and soil erosion
- Assess damaged buildings for safe reoccupation
- Design retrofit or repair for damaged buildings and infrastructure
- Design structurally sound and culturally appropriate transitional shelters
- Master plan communities and camps for displaced people Technical consulting on shelter programming and project implementation
Construction Managers: Oversee teams for construction of buildings and infrastructure
Surveyors: Geo-technical, topographic site surveys for development
Current Operational Capability
Our rapid response (within 96 hours of notification) is possible due to pre-established agreements with our partner/client ministries – other Christian relief ministries, advance DR staff & volunteers recruitment and special-technical training, and the commitment of these select men and women to rearrange their lifestyles to be ready to mobilize on short notice. DR staff & volunteers have proven technical expertise and crisis experience, are physically, emotionally, and spiritually fit, and complete minimum online DR training. They are ready to deploy within 2-days to 2-weeks of notification, for a period of 2-4 weeks. They receive DR ministry program updates and mobilization alerts for assessment and design teams pre-disaster Disaster Risk Reduction and post-disaster DR. More than technical consultants, EMI DR staff & volunteers are devoted to being distinctly Christian in the response to disaster.
- Establish relationship agreements with ministries seasoned in disaster response and transportation agencies before disasters occur.
- Recruit, train, and equip staff & volunteers to deploy within 96 hours on DR assessment teams.
- Quickly assess and report unmet needs in the disaster area.
- Identify projects that meet the short- and long-term needs of the poor, reduce vulnerability to future disasters, and proclaim the Good News of Jesus Christ.
- Assemble, mobilize, and facilitate rapid DR design teams for selected projects that meet identified needs in disaster-prone areas.
- Hand off projects to follow-on design teams or the client ministry for completion.
Read more on the DR Ministry Program