EMI Uganda’s Construction Workshop, which began under a jackfruit tree in 2007, has since been more firmly established in its own facility in Kajjansi. It is a place where craftsmen are hired, trained, and discipled to glorify God with their lives – both in the trade and in their communities. EMI Uganda is currently seeking Workshop Managers whose desire is to raise the standard of excellence in timber and steel fabrication in our context, both through careful, collaborative project execution and through the development of young technicians and tradespeople.
The current scope of EMI Uganda’s workshop is the design and fabrication of timber and steel trusses, doors, windows, and furnishings. The products built by the workshop are for EMI’s ministry partners, all of whom are involved in gospel-proclamation and poverty-alleviation in a wide variety of ways and in many different contexts. The Construction Workshop team combines local and international staff, serving in administrative, project management, and fabricator roles. Staff are based at the EMI Uganda office in Kajjansi, and are occasionally mobilised to project sites for installations.
In every project we strive to build an excellent product, but also to build into the lives of the carpenters, welders, and helpers. Not only does the Construction Workshop provide skills training and personal development, but the workshop crew is also spiritually nurtured and discipled through a weekly chapel.
Compensation: This opportunity is a support-based, self-fund-raised position.
- Industry-specific training and certifications
- 3-4 years relevant experience and a strong track record of success in project management
- Proven ability to establish and maintain schedules
- Working knowledge of personal computers with such programs as: Microsoft Office and Autocad
- Hire, train, and supervise metal and timber technicians and technical assistants
- Ensure safe and proper operations, adherence to shop drawings, and quality craftsmanship
- Organize, maintain and expand workshop facilities, tools and equipment
- Contribute towards the development of a standard product catalog
- Establish and participate in opportunities within the fabrication workshop for training, professional/spiritual development and mentorship of local employees