EMI can respond within days of any disaster worldwide. EMI can also develop disaster risk reduction (DRR) assessments for communities, structures, and infrastructure. Small teams of specially-trained EMI Disaster Responders and technical professionals provide services on a not-for-profit basis. This position will carry out the ministry of EMI through leading, growing, and managing EMI’s Disaster Response and Risk Reduction Program.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in architecture, engineering, disaster response or related field
- Experience in international disaster relief management
- 5–10 years practical work experience in project and program management
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to think and act strategically at multiple levels
- Ability to manage and supervise people and projects with humility and confidence, and a relational style that promotes teamwork and unity while advancing planning and implementation in a systematic way
- Adaptable; Able to redirect work priorities and assignments as requested
- Ability to travel (up to 15% of time)
- Ability to withstand physical, emotional and spiritual rigors of disaster response mobilizations
- Must maintain a personal passport and confirm visa requirements as needed
- Must be responsible for physical assessments and obtaining appropriate vaccinations or medication.
- Meet regularly with pastoral care or mental health professionals, as needed.
- Regularly communicate with EMI about when rest and/or spiritual support is needed.
Program Management and Development
- Continue to develop vision and mission for the DR program including refining EMI strategy to respond to disasters around the world and engage in risk reduction initiatives
- Provide general administrative oversight of the ministry program
- Cultivate new opportunities and initiatives including possible funding opportunities
- Ensure/pursue relationships and/or agreements with international and local partner relief organizations are established and maintained through regular networking including conference attendance.
Response and Project Management
- Ensure coordination of responses including identifying disaster needs, reaching out to ministry clients/partners, and determine EMI’s ability to respond
- Lead DR teams when appropriate, including:
- Recruit and prepare team members for trip
- Pastor team members while on trip
- Make sure team and technical work is serving ministry
- Encourage/counsel ministries being services
- Consider items listed in project leader’s checklist
- Manage or delegate management of Disaster Risk Reduction projects as appropriate including scope, scheduling, deadlines, work breakdown, budgets, reporting and client relations