Professional Training & Experience
- B.S. in Civil Engineering, University of Maryland, College Park, 1982
- Project Manager, Washington Suburban Sanitary Commission, 6 years
- P.E., Civil Engineering, Virginia, 1989
- Educator Certification in Technology Education, Maryland, 2008
- Project Lead the Way Certification in IED, POE, AE, and EDD
- High School Teacher in MCPS, Engineering & Technology Education, 11 years
- MAE in STEM Education, University of Maryland Baltimore County, 2017
- Serving with EMI, South Africa, as Intern Coordinator, 2020-present
Having studied civil engineering, Jen worked in the water & wastewater industry as a project manager before transitioning into education. She became a technology and engineering high school teacher, seeking to encourage students to consider STEM careers. Jen now serves as the EMI South Africa intern coordinator. She is advising and assisting with mentoring and discipling our engineering and architecture interns as well as reaching out to area schools/universities to assist in STEM advancement.
Jen grew up attending church and came to Christ as a young girl through Vacation Bible School. Singing in the choir and leading the youth group helped to deepen her faith. During her time in college, she met other believers through the Navigators and decided to commit every aspect of her life to the Lord. Jen continued to develop a heart for discipleship with a desire to make a difference in the world through word and deed. After graduation, Jen served overseas with Teen Missions, then continued to grow in faith through involvement with the Navigators while working in her career field. She met Jim at a Navigators singles retreat. After marriage, Jen continued to serve the Lord and grow through a Navigators couples’ study and through the missions oriented ministry of First Alliance Church. She has helped with the music ministry, ladies’ bible studies, and children’s ministry. Jen and Jim have also reached out to their community, led small groups, served on the church Missions Committee, and participated in short-term missions.
Jen and Jim have been married for over 33 years and have three adult children: Jason, Joanne, and Julie. Jen is grateful for the privilege to join the EMI South Africa team along with Jim at this time in their lives. They are eager to combine their love of engineering with their commitment to serve the Lord.