In fifteen years since its establishment, EMI Uganda has grown, learned, and adapted. EMI’s place in the Design and Construction industry is now established, affecting influence and serving our clients with innovation, relevance, and experience. EMI Uganda provides comprehensive design services from concept, through detailed design, to construction administration for ministry partners, all of whom are involved in gospel-proclamation and poverty-alleviation work in the name of Jesus. The Engineering team combines local and international staff, serving in civil/structural design, project management, and drafting roles. Staff are based at the EMI Uganda office in Kajjansi, and are occasionally mobilized to project sites for consultation with our partners, or to provide project supervision.
Additionally, employees of EMI are responsible for representing EMI, both in a professional manner and as an ambassador to the greater EMI mission and Christian faith, including active engagement in the spiritual life of EMI, engaging in the sharing of the truths of the Bible, prayer, fellowship, and participating in the personal and spiritual development of others.
EMI Uganda is currently seeking civil engineers whose desire is to raise the standard of excellence in Uganda’s construction industry through careful, collaborative project execution and through the development of young industry professionals in EMI’s network.
The Staff Civil Engineer is responsible for coordinating engineering design and production for projects. On a typical project, the Staff Civil Engineer is involved in site soil analysis, grading and drainage design, erosion control, planning of pedestrian and vehicular circulation routes, addressing site accessibility issues, coordinating survey work, and design of water supply and wastewater disposal systems. The Staff Civil Engineer also provides professional supervision and mentoring to junior engineering staff and interns.
A professional license is required, and 2-3 years of relevant work experience is preferred. The Staff Civil Engineer may also be required to lead project trips requiring the coordination of volunteers to travel domestically and internationally 2-3 times per year up to 14 days each.
- BS in Civil or Environmental Engineering
- Professionally registered/licensed
- 2-3+ years relevant experience
- Working knowledge of personal computers with demonstrated experience in the use of such programs as: Word, Excel, Outlook, Power Point, Autocad, and Civil 3D
- Perform engineering design, calculation and drafting on projects from the concept stage all the way through construction administration
- Contribute to the development of standard engineering practice at EMI, including sustainability approaches, appropriate technologies, cad standards, specifications, etc.
- Represent EMI Uganda through engagement with East African engineering firms and university programs to advance strategic initiatives
- Encourage, mentor and supervise engineering interns and junior staff