EMI’s mission is to respond to a disaster event within days of any disaster event worldwide. Seeking to be Christ’s ambassadors wherever they go, EMI Responders assess and report on unmet needs at a disaster zone, anticipate disaster effects, and provide hazard mitigation options.
EMI Responder Prerequisites:
- EMI Responders are EMI account holders with complete & up-to-date records.
- EMI Responders are Christian technical professionals who have travelled with EMI on multiple Project Trips
- EMI Responders give to EMI financially each year – either through the EMI Fund or Growing Globally.
- EMI Responders have the ability to deploy with 2-14 days of notification after an event for a period of up to 3 weeks.
EMI Responder Application & Training:
To be considered as an EMI Responder, those meeting the prerequisites above may request a candidate application. The application process will cover the following:
- Establish the technical expertise and crisis experience of the candidate.
- Establish the physical, emotional, mental, and spiritual fitness of the candidate.
- Request an endorsement from the candidate’s former EMI Project Leader.
- Request an endorsement from the candidate’s local pastor.
If a candidate’s EMI Responder application is approved, they will be directed to complete an online DR / DRR training programme. Once the approved candidate has completed all training sessions, they will be added to the EMI Responder team and receive mobilisation alerts and DR / DRR programme updates from EMI.
Requesting an EMI Responder application indicates you understand and meet the EMI Responder prerequisites listed on this page.
EMI Responders bring technical capability to Disaster Response and Disaster Risk Reduction mobilisations. Following are some of EMI’s DR / DRR technical capabilities.
Water and Wastewater Engineers
- Re-establish, design and install various water and wastewater systems
- Assess and implement sanitation and hygiene initiatives
- Design and establish clean water distribution centers
- Design flood water mitigation solutions
- Technical consulting on WASH programming and project implementation
Civil and Geotechnical Engineers
- Survey hazards and provide risk mitigation recommendations for natural hazards
- Assess slope stability and soil erosion
Structural Engineers and Architects
- Assess damaged buildings for safe reoccupation
- Design retrofit or repair for damaged buildings and infrastructure
- Design structurally sound and culturally appropriate transitional shelters
- Master plan communities and camps for displaced people
- Technical consulting on shelter programming and project implementation
- Design retrofits and repairs to damaged roads and bridges
- Oversee teams for construction of buildings and infrastructure
- Geo-technical, topographic site surveys for development