EMI Nicaragua opened its doors in Managua in the fall of 2016. Alongside EMI Mexico, EMI Nicaragua serves the Latin America region. Since 2016, EMI Nicaragua has provided design assistance on more than 50 conceptual, detailed, and construction management projects. While focusing on projects in Nicaragua, our office works throughout Latin America; for example, recent projects took place in Bolivia and the Dominican Republic. We have grown from a staff of 3 missionaries to a diverse mix of 13 international and national staff, fellows and interns.
The Latin America region has a long history of ministries sharing the Gospel of Christ, yet there continues to be the need for quality design and construction and ongoing discipleship to allow for a ministry’s vision to be realised.
The EMI Nicaragua office is currently seeking a Construction Manager to aid with construction management services to include cost estimating and other pre-construction services, direct management of construction crews, sourcing and purchasing materials, quality control, and appointment and management of general contractors.
Whilst this position is based in the EMI Office in Managua, some projects may be located outside of Managua, and require some travel within Nicaragua.
The Nicaragua office operates primarily in Spanish, although English is spoken one day a week to support the English language development of national staff. The ability to speak conversational (or higher) Spanish is desirable though not essential. However, willingness to invest up to 12 months of full-time language study is required.
In addition to the typical EMI Staff / Associate Staff prerequisites, candidates for this position must have:
- Bachelor’s degree in Construction Management, Engineering or similar.
- The ability to relocate to Nicaragua and a willingness to learn Spanish.
- 5+ years relevant experience and a strong track record of success in site engineering roles.
- Proven ability to establish and maintain schedules.
- Proficiency in programs such as: Word, Excel, Outlook, Power Point, AutoCAD and project management software.
- Strong leadership and ability to lead multi-national multi-discipline teams.
The following are essential responsibilities for this position:
- Spiritual and professional discipleship through EMI’s programmes and opportunities
- Create and maintain construction project schedule, budget and quality.
- Produce regular financial reports.
- Oversee the procurement of materials, ensuring fair rates and good quality.
- Inspect on-site works for safety and quality.
- Manage general contractors and/or subcontractors to contract requirements.