In 2016, Deeply Rooted Grounds founder Nathan Pendleton began feeding rice and beans to a few kids from his mother-in-law’s house in a slum in Nicaragua. This quickly grew to feeding more than 60 kids, leading him to purchase a small piece of property and create the first Dream Center. Today, the Dream Center provides food, education, formula, medicine, and spiritual discipleship to over 300 kids a day. Using the model from the first Dream Center, Deeply Rooted Grounds now runs a network of over 45 feeding programs throughout northern Nicaragua serving more than 9,000 kids daily!
In 2022, Deeply Rooted Grounds launched the Miracle House, a therapy centre for kids with disabilities. There were no other organizations or help for these kids in this area and it is desperately needed. This program currently serves more than 30 children, providing physical, occupational, and speech therapy free of charge. The need for these services became very apparent to Nathan after his son Isaac was born with cerebral palsy.
The ministry has been renting their facilities, but as it continues to grow they are seeking to create a permanent home base. The ministry recently purchased a 5-acre property in Jinotega, Nicaragua and is excited to continue meeting the physical and spiritual needs of the children in their community.
The scope for this project includes:
- Assessment of existing buildings and infrastructure. Where appropriate, provide recommendations for the incorporation of the existing structures into the new building programme.
- Master plan, including building locations, access, parking, utilities and outdoor recreation space.
- Conceptual architectural designs and structural recommendations for the following:
- Miracle House therapy centre, for approximately 80 children and 10 staff
- Long and short-term volunteer housing, for up to 100 people
- Food distribution warehouse, capable of storing up to 100 pallets
- Prayer garden
- Assess and provide civil engineering conceptual design for the potable water and sanitary sewer infrastructure, as well as distribution across the site. (Does not include internal plumbing)
- Assess and provide conceptual design for site grading and stormwater management
- Assess and provide conceptual design for electrical supply and site distribution and backup, including assessment of the potential for onsite renewable energy systems (Does not include individual building wiring layouts)
If you feel called to volunteer your time, skills and expertise as we partner with Deeply Rooted Grounds on this exciting, Christ-centred project, we would love to hear from you!
— David Lowe, EMI Nicaragua trip leader
1 Position Available