EMI Canada exists to transform lives by coming alongside missions and local ministries who have a vision to present and live out the Gospel of Jesus Christ. We mobilize full-time project leaders, fellows, and interns from our office, serving alongside administrative staff; and we also support Canadians in these capacities to serve in other EMI offices around the world.
People restored by God and the world restored through design.
To develop people, design structures, and construct facilities which serve communities and the Church.
EMI revolves around the person of Jesus and serves the global Church to glorify God through:
Design: EMI works within the local context to design and construct culturally-appropriate facilities that are sustainable, affordable, and transformational.
Discipleship: EMI develops people spiritually and professionally through intentional discipleship and mentoring.
Diversity: EMI builds the Church by connecting people of diverse backgrounds, abilities and ethnicities to demonstrate our love for God, our love for the nations and the unity we share in Christ.
Statement of Faith
EMI is a Christian organization that sincerely embraces religious beliefs founded on the Bible. EMI holds to a historic, orthodox understanding of Christianity, as enunciated in the Lausanne Covenant, established at the International Congress on World Evangelization (Lausanne, Switzerland, July 1974). The following statement of faith is intended as a brief summary of what the Lausanne Covenant affirms more completely and expresses statements of faith historically held by EMI.
- We believe the Bible to be the inspired and only authoritative Word of God. (II Timothy 3:16)
- We believe that there is one God, eternally existent in three persons: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. (I John 5:6-8)
- We believe in the deity of our Lord Jesus Christ, in His virgin birth, in His sinless life, in His miracles, in His vicarious and atoning death through His shed blood. We believe in His bodily resurrection, in His ascension to the right hand of the Father, and in His imminent and personal return in power and glory. (John 3:16; I Corinthians 15:3-4; I Peter 2:18-24)
- We believe the Holy Spirit is a gift from God as promised by the Lord Jesus Christ to those who believe. The Holy Spirit brings about the conviction of sin and the new birth, bears witness of our adoption, and is the power behind Christian growth and ministry. (Matthew 3:11; John 14:16-17; John 16:5-15; Acts 1:8; Acts 2:4, 38-39; Acts 19:1-7; I Corinthians 12:7-11)
- We believe that all people are lost and guilty of sin. Jesus Christ is the only mediator between God and people. Salvation is brought about, not by works, but by faith in the work of Jesus Christ on the cross as a sacrifice for the sins of the world. (Romans 3:21-30; Galatians 4:4-7; Ephesians 2:8-9; I Thessalonians 4:13-18; Revelation 22:20)
- We believe in the resurrection of everyone, both the saved and the lost; the saved unto the resurrection of life; and the lost unto the resurrection of damnation. (John 5:24, 28, 29)
- We believe the Church is at the very center of God's cosmic purpose and represents the Body of Christ on earth (Matthew 28:19,20; Acts 1:8; Ephesians 3:9-11; I Corinthians 12:27)
In September 2002, Engineering Ministries International Canada opened its doors as a one-person office to better mobilize Canadian volunteers. Steve Ulrich, a Canadian serving with EMI USA, moved his family to Calgary to open the 4th office in the EMI family.
The first EMI Canada trip went out September 2002 featuring five Canadian design professionals, including Greg Young and Patrick Cochrane, both of whom would play extensive roles in EMI Canada’s development.
EMI Canada staff has grown locally and abroad, representing a variety of disciplines including engineers, architects, construction managers, surveyors, as well as administration and accounting personnel.
Since welcoming its first two interns in May 2003, EMI Canada has hosted over 100 interns from eight different countries, giving young professionals a chance to combine their faith with their career discipline.
EMI Canada celebrated its 15th anniversary in 2017 and continues to empower Canadian design professionals to design a world of hope. At that milestone, 81 projects had been led in 29 countries with 72 client ministries served.
Engineering Ministries International Canada
Suite 201, 625-14th Street NW